Sunday, June 21, 2009

Second Training Session - Observations

The second training session was definitely a lot more hectic than the first session. Seemed like there was way more scheduled and that there will definitely be an uptake in the amount of learning and work that will need to be done before my first teaching session. Some things I took away.

- Novell is a pain.
- Powerpoints have to be far more scaled back. Although my visual style in presentations is minimalist in nature, the content, especially for a high school audience will have to be as well.
- I should train on as many things as humanly possible. As I have iterated before in the previous posts, there is a lot that I feel like I do not know, and a lot that I will most certainly need to know if I'm going to be good at my job. Training in Flash, Illustrator, Linux is a great plus, especially since I wanted to learn these apps anyways.


Right now, I'm trying to figure out how my teaching styles will change from my work with ITA and the game design course for CAP. I have a feeling that this Summer I'll be doing more of the learning than my students.

2 comments:

  1. Note to Ryan: I think the teacher always learns more than the students.

    Lesson for Ryan: The sooner you stand up in front of the students and teach, the sooner you start learning massive amounts of information! (in my experience).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - Novell is a pain!

    I wouldn't worry too much about training on 'as many things as humanly possible'. It's true that we do want to know as much as we can for our students. But in my experience, it's good to focus on one or two things and get really good at them, versus trying to do everything and then only having a broad base of knowledge over everything. It'll be easier when you know what you'll be teaching in the fall too, but don't get too worried - you don't need to know absolutely everything we teach here!

    ReplyDelete