Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Class Thoughts

2:03 - Think I just walked into the middle of the lesson. Actually, I know I walked into the middle of the lesson. From what I gather, it's about Linux, which I used once.

2:05 - Are these students part of the four year program? Are they only here for the Summer session? I wonder because they're incredibly focused and on task.

2:09 - I think it would have been better to observe the entire class rather than just the hour of time.

2:12 - It's a good setup. Looks like Felipe is leading the class with Chou and AJ providing assistance? I may be wrong on this, but I'm working with the fact that Felipe is sitting at the front facing everyone.

2:15 - AJ talks about GUI in Linux. I'm a little unclear about the lesson, but it's probably because I'm the person in the class who knows the least about Linux.

2:18 - I need to learn Linux.

2:19 - I like the open forum for discussion. The students seem genuinely interested and are asking questions.

2:21 - Are they quizzed on any of this?

2:23 - Went to break, gives me an opportunity to sign up for more classes, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

2:37 - Break ends, talking about using Windows XP "ubuntu will always be free, windows will never be free"

2:44 - I'm guessing installing XP is leading up to them making comparisons between the two operating systems. I would like to try Linux sometime but it's very angry at games.....and well, I'm a gamer.

2:46 - Lots of the students seem to be comically broken up over deleting Ubuntu, it's hilarious.

2:52 - Got some answers to the questions I had compliments of AJ. These students are actually part of the four year program, the Summer courses are part of the deal. In addition to these classes, these students also have internships. In the end if they go through all of this, they get a free scholarship to Madison. Crazy.

2:54 - The long installation time for XP allows for discussion with the students over the differences they have so far observed. "loads longer" "looks intimidating" "not free" "no preview option"

2:57 - Someone has to re-install XP all over again. Yikes!

2:58 - In general, the students are very attentive. I would definitely like to sit in on the computer assembly demo.

No comments:

Post a Comment