Monday, February 8, 2010

New Instructor Reflection

Well...it has not been quite a year yet, but here I am reflecting on my own free will, my time here at ITA.

When I originally came to ITA, I was excited about teaching students and being in a classroom atmosphere. Much of the same sentiment has not changed over time, but rather I've become more grounded in my expectations of myself, the students, and ITA.

For instance, the students at ITA, as well as the instructors (most especially myself) need to be preparing for the next sessions right after the end of the previous ones. So I help teach Flash, but teaching Flash to students becomes difficult when many do not attempt to use the programs on their laptops during the two weeks. I've learned to curtail my expectations of what the students will want to learn. In addition, I simply need to prepare for Flash much more than I do now. I find myself rushing in the last two days before the session to re-familiarize myself with everything...and that can be problematic.

Some of the great successes I can think of is the connection I've been able to make with many of the students. It's great to be able to talk to the students about things outside of ITA but are school-related, and helping them try to understand whatever it is they're doing at the time that requires some particular attention.

If I had to go back in time to tell myself something...probably would be that the mornings are going to be terrible regardless....the students are tired, you're tired, but you're both there and have to make the most of it. Stop being so deflated from the first session and try to make those sessions at the very least more fun....get creative, you jerk.


No comments:

Post a Comment